Monday 24 November 2008

24. Language learning - in a minute

When I go on holiday, I do at least like to be able to say "Please", "Thank you" and a few other choice phrases, just to show that I am trying. Sadly my language learning capability is "limited". But I have come across this new website with the intriguing title of "One minute languages." So I shall listen, and see what I learn. The lessons are given in weekly downloadable podcasts.

The current choice of languages are Catalan, Danish, French, German, Irish, Japanese, Luxembourgish, Mandarin, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian and Russian. What a pity my next trip is to Italy!

These same people also have a new course for English language learners entitled Write Back Soon "which helps learners of English master one tricky aspect of the language: phrasal verbs." Sadly I think I missed the lesson when they explaned what "phrasal verbs" are. Fortunately Google came to my rescue, and according to the Phrasal Verb Dictionary "A phrasal verb is a verb plus a preposition or adverb which creates a meaning different from the original verb." For example "run + into" = "meet".

One Minute Languages

Phrasal Verb Dictionary

No comments: