Thursday 30 October 2008

Gigantic gigas

Do you remember your first USB memory stick. If it was a few years ago, it may have been a 64 meg, which us veterans all thought was great as it was better than having a 30cm high stack of floppy discs. Well, sadly (?) I have just bought my latest USB memory (or "pen drive" or whatever you like to call it. I find the diverse terminology for these devices very confusing.), a 32 gig stick, which is only around 2cms long and sits on the keyring (replacing the one on a previous blog). That has eight times more memory than my first Netbook (an Asus EEE), and equal to a stack of floppy discs 64 metres high (roughly the height of a 20 story building).

But the question is why should I have such a huge memory stick? Because it is my main back-up system for the entire computer. While I would still promote and use online storage, I still like to have the physical version, which I can acces irrespective of internet connection. Also, when I take delivery of my next computer, I do not want to simply load up all the old rubbish. I will transfer key files, and have the others always with me on the latest USB memory.

Plus I can carry all my Portable Applications with no problems.

But what if I loose it because it is so small? 1) It is AlLWAYS attached to my keys, 2) I have online backup, 3) all information is also on the new or old computer.

How much was this huge drive? About £20 (€30)

Where? Ah! Its was a little store on the third floor of this mall in ......... China. But coming to a store near you soon!

No comments: