Monday 9 February 2009

9. Where am I? - Google Latitude

Geotagging, the adding of location information, appears to be taking off this year and could be very useful for dyslexic individuals, particularly if you are looking for a place or are trying to find out where you are!

The latest to enter the "Where am I and where are you?" field is Google with Latitude. It appears that you have a list of contacts in you phone and these can be used as identifiers of where people are using the GPS of their smart phone. Privacy is apparently guaranteed, which presumably means that if you don't want a "friend" to know you are nearby, you can turn it off. But then, if you turn it off, doesn't that signal something too?

I downloaded it easily onto my Blackberry, and it seemed to know where I was. Only time will tell how successful it will be.

Google Latitude

No comments: